7 facts about FIFA World Cup Russia that every football lover should know
1. For the first time in its history, Russia was granted the right to host the FIFA World Cup. The tournament will be held from June 14 to July 15, 2018.
2. A total of 32 teams will take part in the competition. Russia and 13 national teams would represent European zone (Russia was automatically qualified for the Championship as the host country), five national teams from African zone, and ten from Asia and South America, and three from North American zone.
3. The FIFA Cup matches will be held in 11 cities:
Moscow (Moscow will host the finals of the cup)
4. The main theme of the tournament are things Russia is famous for, such as, ‘The dream and the cosmic outer space exploration, enlivened with folk motives featuring Firebirds, Matryoshkas and folk patterns.
5. Wolf Zabivaka designed by student Ekaterina Bocharova won the right to be the 2018 World Cup mascot. The main symbol of the tournament was chosen via online voting.
6. In total, there will be around 15,000 volunteers involved in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
7. The 2018 FIFA World Cup and each host city will be represented by elected ambassadors – famous people who were either born in those cities, or are somehow related to them. The ambassadors of the World Cup promote sports and healthy lifestyle and promote the 2018 FIFA World Cup.